- Participating students commit to the completion of 50 hours of unpaid community-engaged volunteering with a non-profit or municipal organization.
- Work is to be completed during winter break (December 20 to January 22), along with a mid-break survey check-in
- After winter break, awardees will summarize their experience in the form of a photo, description of their work, and reflection essay on their experience. Students who complete this reflection and survey on-time will receive a $750 reflection stipend.
Winter Break Community Engagement Program
The Winter Break Community Engagement Program (WBCEP) allows students of aid the opportunity to provide 50 hours of volunteer service to a nonprofit or municipal organization over the 2023-2024 Bowdoin winter break. Participating students will receive training, support in identifying a host site, and check-ins from the McKeen Center. Volunteer work can be remote or in-person.
Students will receive a $750 reflection stipend for completing the WBCEP reflection essay and evaluation survey at the end of the program in January.
2023-24 Program Timeline:
- 10/18/23 WBCEP Application Opens
- 10/25/23 WBCEP Info Session: If you missed the information session, you can watch a recording and answer a few questions in order to be eligible to apply to the WBCEP.
- 11/15/23 Rolling Admissions Begins
- 12/4/23 Rolling Application Deadline*
- 12/19/23-1/21/24 Volunteering Period
- 1/21/24 Reflection Materials Due and stipend paid upon submission
*Unless WBCEP reflection stipends are fully committed prior to 12/4