Student Community Action Network (SCAN)
The Student Community Action Network (SCAN) is a cohort of seven students from the class of 2025 or 2026 who commit to volunteering a minimum of 50 hours with Maine non-profit organizations or local Maine government offices during the fall semester of 2023 on a capacity building project.
Each participant will receive a stipend of $1,000 and will work closely with McKeen Center staff to find a placement site, be trained in effective community engagement, and complete their service project goals. This program is ideal for students with a strong commitment to the common good and interest in future leadership roles with the McKeen Center and the nonprofit and public sector.
As part of the program, students are required to:
- Complete 50 hours (approximately 3-5 hours each week) of work with a Maine-based organization or local government office
- Attend weekly check-in meetings with SCAN cohort and McKeen Center staff
- Create a final reflection poster and presentation in December (before finals)
Who is eligible?
The Student Community Action Network is open to members of the class of 2025 and 2026 who receive financial aid from Bowdoin. Successful applicants will demonstrate an interest in community engagement but do not need to have specific experience working in the local community.
- $1,000 stipend
- Training and support from McKeen Center staff
- Significant community-based experience to draw on for future Bowdoin and career opportunities