Parking in Brunswick
Parking on Town of Brunswick streets near Bowdoin College is regulated by ordinance and is strictly enforced by the Brunswick Police Department. To avoid a parking ticket, please obey the parking signs posted on area streets. Students, employees, and campus visitors should be aware of the following parking restrictions:
- Park Row: Overnight parking (1 a.m.- 6 a.m.) is prohibited from Longfellow Avenue north to the Chamberlain Statue. There is a 2-hour parking limit from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. on a section of Park Row between South Street and College Street, and in several spaces in front of the Museum of Art. Parking is not permitted in the yellow striped section in front of Searles Science Building.
- Maine Street: Overnight parking (1 a.m. - 6 a.m.) is prohibited.
- Potter Street: Overnight parking (1 a.m. - 6 a.m.) is prohibited.
- South Street: Overnight parking (1 a.m. - 6 a.m.) is prohibited.
- Page Street: Overnight parking (1 a.m. - 6 a.m.) is prohibited without a street resident permit.
- Longfellow Avenue: Overnight parking (1 a.m. - 6 a.m.) is prohibited without a street resident permit.
- Cleaveland Street: Restricted to 2-hour parking (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.).
Basic Town Parking Rules
- Obey the time limits in timed parking zones;
- Don’t park where there is yellow painted curb, “no parking” signs or pavement painted with yellow or white diagonal stripes;
- When parallel parking, always park so your passenger side wheels are adjacent to the curb;
- When using diagonal parking, your front wheels should be the closest to the curb;
- Don’t park within 20 feet of a crosswalk or intersection;
- Dont’ park within 7 feet of a fire hydrant;
- Don’t park in a spot marked for those with disabilities unless you or your passenger have been issued a disability placard – and no one (with or without a placard) should park in the access aisle adjacent to a disability parking spot;
- Don’t park when a parking ban (usually in connection with snow removal) has been declared;
- Don’t park in an area where parking your car would obstruct a driveway or leave less than 10 feet in the travel lane immediately adjacent to your vehicle.
More detailed information may be found on the Town of Brunswick web site.
Disabled parking spaces are reserved for the use of disabled persons who have a valid state issued disability plate or placard (placard must be displayed while parking). All disabled parking spaces are clearly marked and are off limits to anyone who does not have a disability license plate or placard.
Unauthorized use of a disability parking space will result in a $200.00 fine, and the offending vehicle may be towed at the owner’s expense.
The Office of Safety and Security will notify the campus community via email of campus and town parking bans due to inclement weather or other situations. We recommend signing up for automatic notification of Town of Brunswick parking bans.