Credit for Pre-Matriculation Exams
This information outlines the standard policies established by participating departments and programs for students seeking credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or other international exams.
All official AP, IB, or other international exam scores must be submitted to Bowdoin,
Before the end of the sophomore year for regularly admitted students,
By the end of the first semester for transfer students.
- Regulations for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and other international exams are based on the fall semester in which the student matriculated.
- Bowdoin's departments and programs vary widely in how they award credit for these exams.
- Students should reference the appropriate regulations above and follow-up directly with the applicable department or program with any questions.
- Students who choose to take the Bowdoin course that is equivalent to the AP, IB, or other international exam forfeit the related credit.
- Credit earned for AP, IB, or other international exams does not meet distribution or division requirements, even if the Bowdoin equivalent course does.
- Students may apply a maximum of four course credits toward the degree from the following sources:
- Advanced Placement,
- International Baccalaureate,
- other approved International exams,
- and approved college credits earned from other institutions prior to matriculation.
- Other International Exam Regulations (PDF)