Grades and Exams
In Polaris, spring 2021 grades will be available no later than:
- Friday, May 28 for graduating students, and
- Friday, June 4 for non-graduating students.
The College returned to its standard grading for the 2020–2021 academic year. However, recognizing that students may encounter challenges, some temporary grade-related policy changes for the 2020-2021 academic year are in place:
- The Elective Credit/D/Fail grading mode will be available for eligible students to choose until Monday, May 3, 2021.
- Students initiate the process by submitting a Credit/D/Fail Request Form.
- Visit the Credit/D/Fail policy page for more details.
- Additional time to choose this option recognizes that students may encounter difficulties related to the public health and online learning context at any point in the semester, no matter how much effort they have been putting into their coursework.
- Students may choose one course Elective Credit/D/F with a full load of four credits, and this will not count against their career total of four.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 31, students may request permission from their academic advisor, course instructor, and student dean to take a second course with the Elective Credit/D/Fail grading mode this semester and it will not count against the career total of four. Students will use the same Credit/D/Fail Request Form to initiate the requests for their first and second Elective Credit/D/Fail changes.
- As is standard policy, students may not choose the Elective Credit/D/Fail mode for first-year writing seminars, distribution and division requirements, and in most cases, major and minor requirements. However, in light of the current context, some departments and programs have modified their regulations around Elective Credit/D/Fail, click here for details.
As stated in the Academic Standards and Regulations section of the Bowdoin College Catalogue and Academic Handbook, "The College expects students to complete all course requirements as established by instructors. In unavoidable circumstances (personal illness, family emergency, etc.) and with approval of the student’s dean and the instructor, a grade of Incomplete may be recorded.
Students must initiate the incomplete grade process by contacting their student dean on or before the last day of classes which is Tuesday, May 18 for the spring 2021 semester.
An Incomplete represents a formal agreement among the instructor, a dean, and the student for the submission of unfinished coursework under prescribed conditions. If approved, “the Incomplete Agreement Form is signed by all necessary individuals, and a date is set by which time all unfinished work must be submitted. In all cases, students are expected to finish outstanding coursework in a period of time roughly equivalent to the period of distraction from their academic commitments. In no case will this period of time extend beyond the end of the second week of classes of the following semester.”
At the end of the grading period, any student for whom a grade has not been submitted and a signed Incomplete Form has not been received will automatically be given a grade of F. Any student subsequently wishing to contest an F received under these circumstances must petition the Recording Committee. Contact your student dean if you have questions and/or wish to request an Incomplete. If you need additional assistance, stop by the Office of the Dean of Students on the second floor of Moulton Union or call (207) 725-3149.
Students with questions about spring 2021 final examinations should contact their instructors directly.