Department Coordinator Resources
- Intended Major/Minor Declaration Form sent to eligible students: Thursday, September 9
- Deadline for eligible students to submit form: Thursday, September 23
- Departments/Programs receive list of intended majors/minors for approval: Monday, September 27
- Approvals due back to Registrar: Thursday, October 7
- After department/program approves the declarations, they may begin the internal process of determining new major/minor advisors
- Registrar completes approved major/minor data entry: Friday, October 15
- Notification that ADCs may begin entering advisor assignments: Monday, October 18
- Deadline for major/minor advisor assignment data entry: Thursday, October 28
Final Exam Assignments PDF
- The fall 2021 final exam period is Wednesday, December 15—Monday, December 20.
- Bowdoin's policy is that all academic work, except for final examinations, final papers, final lab reports, and final projects, is due on or before the last day of classes; although instructors may set earlier deadlines, they may not set later deadlines.
- The last day of fall 2021 classes is Friday, December 10.
- Bowdoin's policy is that all final academic work, including final examinations, final papers, final lab reports, and final projects, is due at or before 5:00 pm EST on the last day of the final examination period; although instructors may set earlier deadlines, they may not set later deadlines.
- The last day of the fall 2021 final exam period is Monday, December 20.
Students have a pre-major advisor for their first three and a half semesters at Bowdoin and all pre-major advisor assignments are handled by the Office of the Dean of Students in coordination with the Office of the Dean of Academic Affairs.
After students initially declare a major/minor during their fourth semester, the academic departments/programs assign major and minor advisors internally and the ADC handles the data entry and ongoing management of those assignments in Banner, Bowdoin's student information system. Initial major/minor assignments are in place in advance of students preparing to register for their fifth semester courses.
Each department/program is free to approach the assigning process however they deem appropriate, but all assignments must be entered in Banner for students to view in Polaris.
Advisor assignments and changes are always made on the current term in Banner. For details, please see the documents linked above and email email@example.com with any questions.
ADCs are strongly encouraged to check Polaris after making adjustments to advisor assignments in Banner to confirm the information processed correctly.
Although Polaris does not provide an auto-generated list of every student assigned to a faculty member as an advisee, ADCs can access a list of all major/minor assignments in their department/program through the "Dept" tab of Polaris under the "Major/Minor List" section.
- Students initially declare their major(s)/minor during their fourth semester and the Registrar sends a list of all new majors/minors to the ADC so the internal assigning and data entry process can begin.
- The Registrar posts a timeline for this process each semester.
- The majority of new declarations occur during the spring semester, but there are some new declarations in the fall as well.
- When a student changes a major or minor after their initial declaration, the ADC is notified by the Registrar via email and then assigns a major/minor advisor for that student or adjusts the type of advisor assigned to that student, e.g., the student changed from a major to a minor so their advisor should be listed as a minor advisor instead of a major advisor.
- Students may change their major(s)/minor through the end of the first semester of their senior year.
- When major/minor advisors take Sabbatical or leave the College, the ADC assigns a replacement advisor, according to the established internal process, for each major/minor previously assigned to the faculty member.
- ADCs should review and update major/minor assignments in January and July.
- Every major/minor should have an advisor assignment at all times.
ADCs are responsible for assigning and managing the use of course numbers for courses that originate or cross-list into their department/program.
Please direct faculty to the "Teaching" section of the website for more information about the process of adding or revising courses and adding or revising major/minor requirements.