- All Employees of Bowdoin College are eligible to refer candidates to open positions, with the exception of those who are involved in the hiring process (i.e. hiring manager, search committee members) and Human Resources staff.
- Employees can earn a bonus of $1000 if they refer a benefit-eligible employee and $250 for referring a casual employee, subject to standard taxes and withholdings.
- The following candidates are generally not eligible: A former employee, contract/agency employee who is currently employed or previously worked at Bowdoin College, student employee, immediate family member (includes spouse/partner, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, and grandchildren), or alumni. Any questions on eligibility are at the final discretion of the Vice President of Human Resources.
- Referrals need to be submitted using the Employee Referral Submittal Form.
- Applicants should list the employee’s name as a referral on the application under the “How did you hear about this position” section.
- There is no limit to the number of referral awards an employee may receive.
- Payment will be processed during the first pay cycle after the new hire has been working for 90 days and has accumulated 150 hours of work. The current and newly hired employee must be an active employee and in good standing to receive the bonus payment.
- The Office of Human Resources must approve all employee referral payments.
Employee Referral Bonus Program
Bowdoin College recognizes that employee referrals are an effective way to hire top talent. The Employee Referral Bonus Program rewards employees when their referral leads to a successful hire. Employees can earn a bonus of $1000 if they refer a benefit-eligible employee and $250 for referring a casual employee, subject to standard taxes and withholdings.
Please review the guidelines before submitting your referral.
Can I refer someone for a posted position who already works at Bowdoin College?
No, this program is for referring external candidates.
Can I refer someone if I am a supervisor?
Yes, as long as you are not part of the hiring decision and the position does not report to you, you are eligible for the referral bonus.
When will I receive the bonus payment?
A onetime payment will be processed during the first pay cycle after the new hire has been working for 90 days, has accumulated 150 hours of work, and both employees are still in good standing in their departments.
How will you know if I referred someone?
Please fill out and submit the Employee Referral Submittal Form and have the applicant list your name on the online application under the “How did you hear about this position” section.
Is there a limit on how many referrals I can make?
There is no limit to how many applicants you can refer.
Please direct any questions to:
Assistant Director of Talent Acquisition and Employee Relations (x3468)
Associate Director for Talent Strategy (x3491)