Break Housing and Early Arrival
- Buying a plane ticket? Confirm the opening date. Remember, upperclass students are not required to arrive on that date. They have a buffer of several days after that date before classes start.
- Driving a long distance to campus? Map out your trip so you arrive when you can access housing.
- Roommate(s) approved to return early for a program? That approval does not include you.
- Internship in the Northeast ending in mid-August? You need to figure out a housing plan for those two weeks prior to opening.
- Just showing up on campus will not gain you approval to access housing, so we appreciate you not asking.
- Trying to figure out when you should depart campus for break, or not leave at all? Check the information below.
- Internship that starts in June? You need to figure out a housing plan for the time period between when housing closes and your internship begins.
Read the information below for answers to these questions to be sure you will have access to your housing when you arrive on campus.
Fall 2022 Semester
Housing for upperclass students opens on Sunday, August 28, 2022, at 12:00 noon.
- Early arrival in August: Students living on campus for the entire summer or sponsored by a department for a programmatic need (o-trip leaders, reslife staff, fall athletes, etc.) are automatically approved for early arrival on the date specified by the sponsoring department.
- Upperclass International Students may request and will be approved to arrive two days earlier than opening day to allow students to acclimate to the time zone and have flexibility getting flights.
- Fall Break in October: All residence halls remain open and meal plans are in effect. You can make plans and leave campus or decide to remain on campus the entire time. No sign-up required.
- Thanksgiving Break in November: Students must sign-up to remain on campus via the Bricks and Beyond housing portal (live in early November). Meal plans* are not active between Wednesday lunch to Sunday brunch during this break and the dining hall is usually closed Thursday/Friday of that break.
Housing closes on Tuesday, December 22, 2022 at 12:00 noon.
Winter Break (December 2022 to January 2023)Students must apply via Bricks and Beyond (live after Thanksgiving break) to stay on campus during winter break. Meal plans* are not active for the entirety of winter break and the dining hall is usually closed from 12/22–1/2.
- If students have an extenuating circumstance and need to remain on campus for the entire winter break, the Office of Residential Life may communicate with a student’s Dean prior to winter break housing approval. Reasons a student may be approved to be on campus for winter break:
- home is outside of the United States
- financial hardship to travel home
- challenging family circumstance
- Only certain buildings will be open during break. If a student does NOT live in a building open over winter break, it is their responsibility to find someone assigned housing in an open building who will give them permission to live in their room during break.
- Many residence halls close for safety reasons, to conserve energy costs, and to allow for facilities work to be completed. The locations vary from year to year. The list of open buildings can be found here mid-November.
- Winter Varsity Athletes must apply for housing in an open building. Students will be approved to return only on the date provided by the Athletic Department for their team and should make travel plans accordingly.
- Sophomore Bootcamp Participants do not need to apply for housing; students must return to campus on (date TBD) to participate in Bootcamp.
Spring 2022 Semester
Housing reopens on Saturday, January 22, 2022 for arrivals between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Arrivals are not permitted after 5:00 p.m. on January 22 or January 23 due to COVID-19 testing availability.
- Spring Break in March: Students must sign-up to remain on campus via the Bricks and Beyond housing portal (live at the end of February). Meal plans* are not active between brunch on the first Saturday of break and brunch on the last Saturday of break.
- Spring Varsity Athletes do not need to sign up for housing. Students will be automatically approved to return/remain in their housing based on the dates provided by the Athletic Department for their team.
Housing for underclass students closes on Sunday, May 22, 2022, at 12:00 noon.
Housing for seniors closes on Saturday, May 28, 2022, at 6:00 p.m.
Commencement Night Housing: Seniors participating in graduation may sign up in Bricks and Beyond to remain in their housing through Sunday, May 29, at 10:00 a.m. There are no extensions to this departure time on Sunday.
Interim Housing (May to June)
Interim Housing runs between May closing and summer housing opening. Meal plans* end on the last day housing is open for the semester.
Only students who are living on campus for the summer, employed for Commencement and/or Reunion, or remaining on campus for sponsored trainings (see list of groups below) are eligible for interim housing.
If you are part of the following groups, you do not need to submit a request but should confirm with your supervisor/sponsor that you are on their approved interim housing list. You will then receive your housing assignment on May 20, 2022.
- Outing Club
- Kent Island
- Community Conduct Board member
- Employed by:
- Alumni Relations for Reunion
- Dining for Commencement or Reunion
- Student Activities for Senior Week
Because Reunion uses almost every residential building on campus, we are required to consolidate all students remaining on campus after housing closes into four first-year buildings for approximately two weeks, so you may need to move to a new room during this time.
Submit a request if you are living in Bowdoin housing this summer. If you have other needs, please submit a request and it will be reviewed. Interim Housing applications will open in Bricks & Beyond in late April.
Please note: requests to remain for senior week activities will not be approved. Also, if you have an non-Bowdoin internship starting June 1, please plan for alternate housing accordingly.
Summer Housing is handled by the Events and Summer Programs Office; you can find more information on their website.
*What are the costs involved in staying on-campus over breaks?
There is no additional housing charge to remain in campus housing for any of the break periods referenced above. For all breaks when meal plans are suspended, the Bricks and Beyond sign-up includes a checkbox for students to request meal assistance. Those requests are funneled to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs to verify that applicants are financial aid recipients. That office will communicate directly with the students regarding approvals and how meal assistance works during break. The one exception to this is any “early arrivals” at the end of August; meal assistance is not offered during this time.