Open to current first years, sophomores and juniors.
Topsham, Maine is a dynamic, welcoming, and business friendly community that borders Merrymeeting Bay and is home to the Topsham Fair, a strong business community, and many historical and conservation areas of interest. This position will introduce a Fellow to Topsham’s Town Meeting/Board of Selectmen/Town Manager form of government and will work directly for the Town Manager’s Office.
The Fellow can expect to become familiar with the following Town of Topsham’s Departments: Administration, Finance, Economic Development, Assessing, Planning, Public Works, Tax, Town Clerk, Fire, Police, Parks & Recreation, and Solid Waste. The fellow may also attend professional development events, collaborate with local citizens involved with Town committees, and work on a project that will benefit the Town as well as the Fellow.
The choice of projects will be determined prior to the Fellows arrival and is based on the current needs of the Topsham. The Fellow will have the opportunity to choose a project that they would be interested in pursuing. We also consider suggestions from the Fellows if their interests align with Town objectives. At the end of the summer term, the Fellow can expect to present their work to management and the Topsham Select Board. Some past projects include the following:
- Analyzation of Collective Bargaining Agreements and policies for future union negotiations
- Develop an alternative payment method for the Solid Waste facility
- Develop a Town Local Business Directory and webpage highlighting local businesses
- Analyzation and reporting of community center survey data for Town officials
- Organized and compiled existing condition reports of bike and pedestrian infrastructure to develop a patterns of growth map in Topsham
- Assist with updating Topsham’s administrative code
- Assist with the development of an improved format to the Town’s annual report.
- Develop an improved method for disseminating information to the public including introducing a strategy and implementation for social media communication
- Catalog Topsham's tax acquired property to assist with decisions on its disposition or retention for town use
- Identify and survey local landlords to collect and analzye rent statistics to inform affordable housing decisions