Supervisors must create student work schedules that are in compliance with the policies set forth by Bowdoin HR and by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Hours Per Week - Academic Year
- Student employees may not work more than 20 hours per week while classes or exams are in session.
- 20 hours per week is the total for all weekly hours in all positions worked.
- Employers should never allow an international student to exceed 20 hours per week during the academic year or 40 hours per week during designated breaks as this would constitute a violation of visa restrictions and could have serious consequences for the student.
Hours Per Week - Breaks and Summer
- Student employees may work up to and not more than 40 hours per week during the winter, spring, and summer breaks.
- During fall break, students may exceed 20 hours per week, but the total number of hours should be within reason and at the discretion of the student's supervisor.
- Students should not be scheduled to work overtime. However, in cases where an inadvertent overtime situation occurs, the department will be required to pay the student overtime wages.
Working Hours Limit Waiver Requests
- The SEO rarely accepts working hours waiver limits. If you have a one-time, extraordinary circumstance, you must notify the SEO in advance.
- If a student works in more than one department and expects a temporary increase in hours, the student should contact their other team members to see if a shift replacement can be found.
- To be clear, most work time increases are expected and a student and supervisor are responsible for making arrangements to keep the student’s working hours under 20.