Vegan Banana Bread
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup shortening
¼ cup canola oil
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon each of banana extract and vanilla extract (can use all vanilla if no
2 cups of very ripe mashed bananas (this is equal to 3 or 4 whole bananas – the riper
the better flavor wise!)
1. Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl.
2. Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add the oil and extracts. Scrape the
sides of the bowl. Add dry ingredients ⅓ at a time, alternately with mashed
bananas scraping the bowl after each addition of bananas. Make sure all
shortening is mixed in.
3. Spray a loaf pan or two if using smaller loaves which is recommended.
4. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes if using small loaves. Recommend 55–70 minutes for
larger pan but unsure. Check if done by lightly touching the center of the loaf. If it
springs back and is solid without sinking, bread is done.
5. Cool in pans 10 minutes and tap out onto a wire rack to cool.