1 cup Quinoa
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Onion, medium, diced
1 Red pepper diced
1 Green pepper, diced
1 (6 oz.) Can tomato paste
1 lb. Canned diced tomatoes with juice
¼ cup Chili powder
2 tsp. Ground cumin
1 Tbsp. Crushed red pepper
1 (15-oz.) Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-oz.) Black beans, drained and rinsed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion and peppers, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes and peppers are soft.
3. Add tomato paste and sauté for another minute.
4. Stir in quinoa, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper and 1-2 cups water and the beans, making sure to cover most of the ingredients; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until thickened, about 30 minutes.