Old Fashioned Hermits
Yield: approximately 48 cookies.
1 ½. c. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 ¼ c. Shortening*
1 c. Molasses
3 ½ c. All‐Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Ginger
¼ tsp. Ground Cloves
½ tsp. Nutmeg
2 ½ tsp. Baking Soda
2 c. Raisins
- Cream shortening with sugar and salt.
- Mix in eggs until well blended.
- Add molasses and mix.
- Combine flour, spices, baking powder and raisins. Add a third at a time, mixing after each addition. Dough will be wet and sticky.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Scoop out onto floured surface and roll into ropes the length of your cookie sheet about ¾” to 1” in diameter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10‐15 minutes.
- Cool completely then drizzle with 2 cups confectionary sugar combined with 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup and ¼ c. hot water. Let frosting harden before slicing into bars.