1 ½ c. Red Lentils
3 ½ c. Water
1 oz. Ginger Puree
2 tsp. Turmeric
1 each Bay Leaf
2 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Smart Balance or Butter
1 Tbsp. Garlic, chopped
2 tsp. Ground Cumin
¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
¾ c. Chopped Tomatoes
1. Wash and pick over lentils. Place in heavy pot with water. Bring to a boil. Strain
away any froth that comes to the top then add ginger, turmeric and bay leaf.
Simmer gently for 25‐30 minutes, stirring often, especially towards the end of
2. As the lentils soften and form a puree, stir in salt. Beat the mixture lightly to
3. In a sauté pan, heat the butter or margarine and add garlic. Cook over very low
heat until soft and golden, not brown.
4. Remove and discard bay leaf.
5. Add diced tomatoes, cumin and cayenne. Cook 2‐3 minutes then stir into lentil
6. Stir in most of the chopped cilantro, reserving some for garnish.