Academic Coaching

Do you ever wonder where all your time goes? Have you read an entire book chapter or article and not remembered a thing? Could prioritizing your goals make your days more efficient and your learning more effective? Have you heard of academic coaching?
silhouette of one person helping another up a mountainside

What is Academic Coaching?

Academic Coaching is an interactive process between a student and a coach. This working partnership focuses on learning skills and resources, tailored to the student, which help students be successful in college and beyond. An academic coach asks questions to examine learning preferences, habits of working, current challenges in an academic context, and barriers to success.  Based on the student’s strength and needs they co-create a personalized plan of action of learning strategies to overcome those challenges and create a foundation for success in college. Throughout this process the student learns to identify and practice the strategies and resources that work best to reach their goals. The ambition of Academic Coaching is to increase awareness of what it takes to stay on track academically and anchor this awareness with new strategies, a supportive relationship, and personal accountability.

You can talk with an Academic Coach about:

  • Time management and planning
  • Managing research and large projects
  • Techniques for acquiring new knowledge and skills
  • Efficient reading and learning from text
  • Studying and mastering large amounts of information
  • Motivation, goal-setting, and overcoming procrastination
  • Managing ADHD
  • Test anxiety and exam preparation

Academic Coaching is provided throughout the entire semester.

Academic Coaching is NOT tutoring for a particular course, academic advising, personal counseling, or a disciplinary meeting.

Good times to meet an Academic Coach

  • Beginning of the semester to set goals and start strong
  • Mid-semester to reflect on mid-terms and revise your stragegies
  • End of the semester to prepare for finals and to finish strong
  • Anytime you...
    • feel overwhelmed and stressed out
    • want to sharpen your learning or life management skills

You can meet with an Academic Coach as often as you would like. Options include one-time visits, weekly, monthly or on an as-needed basis.

Academic Coaching with Tina Chong

The Baldwin Center for Learning and Teaching is pleased to announce that interested students may now work with Tina Chong, PhD, Assistant Director of the Baldwin CLT-Academic Coaching.

Your one-on-one, confidential academic coaching session will be driven by your learning needs and interests.  For the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester Tina will offer virtual office hours on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm and Tuesday and Friday between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm. Make an appointment here!

If you cannot find an available appointment that fits your schedule email Tina ( directly.

What can you ACHIEVE with Academic Coaching?

Achieve your personal and academic goals

Create balance between college, work, fitness and socializing.

Hone time management and organizational/executive functioning skills

Improve study, reading, note and exam taking strategies

Explore the root causes of procrastination and stress

Visualize success and create a positive mindset

Embrace and utilize campus resources