Student Appeal Process
Formal Hearing Decisions
1. General Overview: A student party who wishes to request an opportunity to appeal the decision from a Formal Hearing, either before the Conduct Review Board or before a single Presiding Dean, must do so in within three (3) calendar days of receipt of the outcome letter. The form must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the third day of the appeal period.Please do not use this form for matters related to Title IX. Please visit this page for information on Title IX related appeals.
The request for an opportunity to appeal from Formal Hearing decisions are made to the Senior Vice President and Dean for Student Affairs, who serves as the Chair of the Student Appeals Committee. A case is limited to one appeal.
If the Student Appeals Committee Chair determines that adequate grounds for an appeal exists, the Chair will convene an Appeal Panel, which shall include the Chair, one faculty member, and one student member from the Student Appeals Committee.
If the Chair determines that the Respondent has not provided adequate grounds for an appeal, the request will be denied.
2. Grounds for Appeal: Appeals may only be made on the following grounds:
- A procedural error(s) occurred that may have prejudiced the Panel or the dean; or
- The Respondent has evidence that was unavailable at the original proceeding and, had it been available, would likely have affected the outcome. “Unavailable” means the Respondent was unable to produce the evidence at the time of the hearing. This does not apply to evidence the Respondent chose not to produce.
The Respondent’s request should clearly identify the grounds for an appeal (i.e., clearly identify the procedural error and/or provide the evidence that was unavailable and explain why that information was unavailable).
3. Appeal Process: The request must be made using this form, unless a student receives written permission to proceed otherwise.
If the request is approved, the Respondent will be notified and asked to submit any materials relevant to the argument for appeal.
Upon receipt of a request for the opportunity to appeal, the Senior Vice President and Dean for Student Affairs shall promptly review the request to determine whether the Respondent has provided adequate grounds. If an appeal is deemed appropriate, the Senior Vice President and Dean for Student Affairs shall convene a panel of members of the Student Appeals Committee.
The Office of the Dean of Students may provide an appeal response and submit any relevant materials to the Student Appeals Panel regarding issues raised in the appeal.
4. Appellate Review: The Appeal Panel will limit its review to a review of the record from the original hearing and supporting documents, any statements submitted by the Respondent, and the response offered by the Office of the Dean of Students. In cases where the Respondent appeals on the basis of evidence unavailable at the original proceeding, the Student Appeals Committee may consider the previously unavailable evidence.5. Outcome: The Appeal Panel is not bound by the finding of responsibility or the sanction. The Appeal Panel may affirm, reverse, or modify the hearing decision and/or may eliminate, reduce, or increase the sanction. The Appeal Panel may direct either the Dean of Students to take appropriate action in light of its decision or ask the Conduct Review Board or Hearing Officer to reconsider the case with appropriate corrections.
Appeal from Student Group Conduct
A student group wishing to request an opportunity to appeal an outcome from the Student Group Conduct Process may do so using this form. Appeals must be made on the same grounds and will follow the same process as an appeal from a Formal Hearing (as described above) within three (3) calendar days of receiving the outcome letter documenting the sanction(s). The request must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the third day of the appeal period. The request must be made by the captains or student leadership of the group.
Informal Hearing Decisions
Students wishing to request the opportunity to appeal an outcome from a Conduct Officer decision from Informal Hearing (see Student Disciplinary Process) that resulted in a change of status may make the request to the Dean of Students within three (3) calendar days of receiving the outcome letter documenting the sanction(s) using the same form. Requests must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the third day of the appeal period. Appeals must be made on the same grounds as appeals from a Formal Hearing Decision (as described above).
Upon receipt, the Dean of Students will promptly review the request to determine whether the student has provided adequate grounds for an appeal. The Dean of Students is not bound by the Conduct Officer’s original determination or responsibility or sanction. The Dean of Students may affirm, reverse, or modify the decision and/or may eliminate, reduce, or increase the sanction.
Disposition Without a Hearing
Students who request and receive a disposition without a hearing do not have an opportunity to appeal.