Mail and parcels are received from all service carriers Monday – Saturday. Letters, magazines and newspapers are put into student mailboxes usually by 3:00 pm each weekday and by 2:00 pm on Saturdays.
Student and Family Information
The Mail Center is located on the lower level of Smith Union in the Bogart Court and provides the following:
- Student mail and package receiving and distribution
- Campus mail
- Fax services
- University-wide item distribution
- Express letter and package services
Package Pick-Up Information
All items too large to fit into your mailbox and all special items such as express, certified, or registered mail are logged into our recording system.
Once all packages are logged in package notice cards are printed and placed in your mailbox at approximately 2:00 p.m. Monday – Friday.
An email is also sent notifying you that a package has arrived and that you should check your mailbox for a Package Notice card.
Bring thePackage Notice card to the Mail Center service counter to pick-up your item(s).
Name of student
Mailbox # Smith Union
Brunswick, ME 04011
Mailbox # Smith Union
- Mail dropped off at the mail center by 10:00 am will be processed and placed in student boxes that day.
- Mail picked up at departments around the campus will be placed in student mailboxes by the end of the same business day.
If you forget the combination to your mailbox just come to the mail center with your ID and we will provide it to you again.
Mail is forwarded for up to twelve months after a student has graduated or left the college. We also forward mail for students during the winter and summer breaks and for longer periods when away (i.e. student is away but still enrolled).
- Unless an alternate address is provided, mail is forwarded to the official ‘home of record’ address on record with the Office of the Registrar.
- Forms to notify the mail center of your alternate address are placed in student mailboxes prior to the winter and summer breaks. At times other than these, please speak with a member of the Mail Center staff.
- If you are not returning to Bowdoin, please be sure to update your permanent address with service providers (banks, credit card companies, magazines, etc.), notify your family members and fill out an on-line change of address form with the U.S. Postal Service.
- After twelve months of forwarding, received mail will be returned to the sender.
Yes, you can change your forwarding address by email except for the winter and summer breaks. All you need to do is send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, Bowdoin ID#, current address, and effective date.
To change your forwarding address for the winter and summer breaks you will need to fill out the mail forwarding card that is placed in all student mailboxes prior to the break.
The Mail Center has three hand trucks available for use by students and departments. Hand truck use guidelines:
- Hand trucks may be checked out on weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. for 30 minutes at a time. If you need more time please speak to the Mail Center supervisor in advance.
- Residence hall and contact information is required as part of the check-out process.