Web Exclusive: Hoop Dreams Update
Planning magazine stories months in advance, we were fortunate in our timing to include a feature article in the recent Winter 2004 issue on the Bowdoin women's basketball team during a storybook season. Since we went to press, the women hoopsters have taken their winning ways to even greater heights.
Updated on March 23, 2004
The Bowdoin women's basketball team completed the first unbeaten regular season in the program's history (23-0). They marched through the NESCAC Tournament and, as NESCAC Champions, through the NCAA Sweet Sixteen, into the NCAA Championship game. The 30-0 Polar Bears faced Wilmington College (Ohio) for the NCAA Division III National Championship on Saturday, March 20, in Norfolk, Virginia. It was the first time in College history that a Bowdoin team played for a national championship. To get to the Championship game, Bowdoin defeated the #2- (USM), #3- (Scranton), and #4-ranked (Wisconsin-Stevens Point) teams in the country (ranked by a D3Hoops.com final regular season poll). Read about the Championship game
- Senior co-captain Lora Trenkle was named an NCAA All-American. She scored 13 against Colby in the regular season finale to become just the second player in school history to pass the 1,500-point milestone. With 1,510 career points, she stands in second place on Bowdoin's all-time list to Laura Shultz '96 (1,670).
- Sophomore Justine Pouravelis earned NCAA All-American Honorable Mention.
- Russell Athletic and the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) selected Stefanie Pemper the 2004 Russell Athletic/WBCA NCAA Division III Coach of the Year. Full story
- The Maine Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced their postseason honors and Bowdoin College continued to rake in the honors, claiming Player, Rookie, and Coach of the Year selections. Read the details
- Bowdoin Women's Basketball Sweeps NESCAC Honors Full story
The women hoopsters celebrate their final regular season win over Colby, and the longest home winning streak (then 38 games) in DIII women's basketball. The only unbeaten team in DIII hoopsÑmen's or women'sÑthey took their #1 national ranking all the way to the NCAA Division III National Championship Game on Saturday, March 20.
The New York Times featured an article on the Bowdoin women's basketball team, in the Saturday, February 21 edition. Titled "Basketball Isn't the Only Stage On Which Bowdoin Excels," the article is reprinted on the Bowdoin Web site with permission from the Times. It recounts the team's extraordinary season and discusses the players' ability to balance basketball with academics as they head into the post season. Read the article here, and visit the "Bowdoin in the News" site for an up-to-date list of Bowdoin's other recent appearances in the national media.