Off-Campus Study Guidelines

First Steps

Students interested in studying abroad should first think about where they would like to study. This choice depends on their interests and needs. Students should think not only about the country, but also about the kind of program (courses, internships, etc.) they would prefer.

Students should look through the recommended programs offered by the Office of Off-Campus Study. In addition, students should set up an appointment with the office to learn more about the programs and the process.

Meeting with Faculty

After looking through the list of options, students should meet with a faculty member to discuss the programs and the courses they wish to take. The faculty member will then advise students and help them determine which program is the best for them.

Receiving Credit

Students are guaranteed credit for the courses that their advisor has approved; however, students are not locked into these courses and are allowed to change these courses at any time in consultation with their advisor.

Once abroad, when choosing courses, students should consult with their Hispanic studies advisor at Bowdoin via email to receive approval. Final credit for these courses will be awarded upon submission of course materials so students must keep all course syllabi and coursework completed in the courses they wish to have count toward the major. Students studying abroad must also receive a C or above in approved classes to receive credit.

There are also certain limitations on how many credits can be transferred

  • up to 3 credits toward the major for a semester of study away in a Spanish-speaking country
  • up to 4 credits toward the major for a yearlong program (or a summer plus a semester)

Hispanic studies majors who have not taken 2409 or 2410 before going abroad should find a literature survey course abroad to obtain credit for that requirement.

All courses required for the minor in Hispanic studies need to be taken at Bowdoin. However, courses taken off-campus can be credited as prerequisites for the 3000-level minor requirement, under the advice of a faculty member in Hispanic studies.

After Study Abroad

Within a month of return to campus, students should schedule a meeting with their advisor to receive final approval for the courses taken abroad and students must assemble the following materials:

  • course syllabi and coursework from completed courses abroad
  • a 3-4 page personal reflection in Spanish describing their experience abroad, submitted to the advisor a week before the meeting. This personal reflection must describe:
    • What the student has learned
    • The courses they have taken abroad
    • Outside activities
    • How the courses they took abroad have changed their approach and understanding of Hispanic cultures and literatures
October 1
Students who studied abroad in the spring or for the year must turn in their class syllabus and coursework
March 1
Students who studied abroad in the fall must turn in their class syllabus and coursework.