Additional Resources for Living Off Campus

Relevant Ordinances
Living within the local community means being aware of town ordinances and regulations. Off-campus students are encouraged to review the town website for specific information such as local services, parking, trash pick-up, etc.

  • Town of Brunswick Disorderly Property Ordinance
    Students should also familiarize themselves with the Disorderly Property Ordinance in the town of Brunswick. This ordinance defines disorderly activities, describes how the Brunswick Police Department identifies what properties are “disorderly properties or public nuisances” and outlines the responsibilities the landlord has to abate or eliminate the public nuisance. 

  • Brunswick Noise Ordinance (more strictly enforced between 8:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.)
    The Town of Brunswick has an ordinance to regulate a person or persons from making or continuing any excessive, unnecessary, or unreasonably loud noise or disturbance. This includes amplified music or voices coming from social activities. The ordinance restricts noise more at night than during the day. The Town of Brunswick defines nighttime as falling between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

Town of Brunswick Minimum Standards for Sanitation
Students living in neighborhoods near the College should understand their obligations regarding the sanitary conditions of their apartment or house. 

State of Maine and Town of Brunswick Fire Regulations
Students should also understand the fire safety rules and regulations for the State of Maine as well as the minimum standards for safety for the Town of Brunswick. Please review a letter from the Brunswick Fire Department that includes important fire safety information.

Tenant Rights
When you make the decision to live off campus, you are assuming all responsibilities related to your off-campus residence, including understanding life safety requirements and your rights as a tenant. Bowdoin has no responsibility for the condition or safety of your dwelling.

Consumer rights as a tenant in the State of Maine: