Shop Work Request
Contact our machinists to get started on your project.
Contact the Shop
- Phone: (207) 721 5244
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ... Or just drop by the shop in the Searles Hall Basement, Room 20
- Be sure to contact the shop early in the conceptual phase of the project.
- Provide specifications or basic requirements.
Involve the Machine Shop From Concept to Finished Project
- The project may be designed to take advantage of shop capabilities and materials on hand to save cost.
- The mechanic will make suggestions to simplify the design or to add more complex features if in either case it will enhance the experimental research or the quality of teaching.
- Design features that you may think are overly complex to produce may not be so given early input from the shop.
- The Physics Department work has top priority when all the jobs have similar urgency.
- The shop accepts request for work from all departments.
- Some rush or emergency requests are unavoidable. Whenever possible, such work will be done within normal priorities due to our commitment to the support of all programs.
- The more lead time that you give the shop, the easier it will be to find a block of time to do your project.
Cost of Shop Services
- No labor charges to any department for work performed within normal priorities.
- Labor at time and a half when the urgency of a job adversely impacts prior shop commitments.
- Required Materials not presently on hand with all leftover materials remaining in shop stock for use on other projects.
- Necessary consumable tooling such as cutting tools, abrasives, and welding rod not presently on hand.
- Nonconsumable tooling, measuring instrumentation and machinery needed specifically for the job. To be discussed at the time of the work request.