Facilities and Machine Shop
Our Machine Shop is Capable of A Variety of Fabrication Methods
- Trak DPM5 CNC mill and Trak DPM3 CNC mill – We have two of these 3 axis CNC mills with user friendly conversational controls that simplify working with complex geometry and repetitive tasks. These also have manual capabilities adding versatility for simple mill-drill jobs.
- Trak TRL lathe – This is a large capacity (24”x 70”) CNC lathe with a conversational programming. This system greatly simplifies the cutting of internal and external threads. It also has manual capabilities and handy features for cutting tapers, fillets and other simple tasks.
- Okuma CNC lathe – This is a much more sophisticated CNC machine capable of great speed and accuracy. In addition to conventional single point turning, it has live tooling and a programable C axis spindle, permitting axial or radial milling.
- Graziano SAG14 Lathe – This is a classic 1970’s geared head, toolroom lathe. While it lacks CNC control or digital readouts, it’s a very handy machine for simple jobs that don’t require those features.
Other Power tools:
- Delta drill press – Basic hole making
- Delta 14” vertical band saw – Straight and contoured cuts in wood, plastic and metal
- Johnson horizontal band saw – Cutting long material to length
- Delta 10” table saw – Cutting and ripping of wood and plastic sheets, strips and planks
- Craftsman radial arm saw – Cutting long material to length.
- Delta 1” belt sander - Smoothing and contouring wood plastic and metal.
- Jet 8” bench grinder – Tool sharpening
- K.O. Lee tool & cutter grinder – Tool sharpening, precision grinding
Welding and brazing:
- Lincoln PT 375 TIG (GTAW) welder – High grade welds in a variety of metals
- Marquette AC stick (SMAW) welder – Basic welding
- Linde oxy-acetylene (GMAW) set – Gas welding and brazing, flame cutting
Other: Trinco blast cabinet
Material: - The stockroom can provide some building nmaterial for small projects. The machinist can assist ordering for specialized applications or large projects, which must be paid by the originating department or grant.
The physics department is well equipped for both research and instruction, with such
- Two superconducting magnets, the smaller one operating at a field up to 6
teslaand the other reaching 13.5 tesla, are used in research on the quantum Hall effect, superconductivity, and resonant tunnelingstudies.
- A helium leak detector and a computer-based data acquisition system are available for cryogenic work.
- A mobile pumping station capable of achieving
vacuumin the range of 10 -8 torrcan be used for gas transfer and sample preparation work.
- A Class 1000 clean room for processing semiconductors and for other applications requiring a controlled environment. The clean room contains a Karl Suss photolithographic mask aligner that is able to pattern microscale circuits and devices.
- Two intrinsic-germanium detectors and a multiparameter analyzer are used in studies of coincident gamma rays. Apparatus is available for studies of the Mossbauer effect.
- Other supporting equipment includes a high-vacuum
evaporator,and a rapid thermal annealer. Additionally, the department has recently setupa phonon imaging laboratory which allows the study of heat propagation in solids. This is a low temperatureimaging system utilizing a cavity dumped argon-ion laser to excite thermal waves in semiconductors and insulators.
The department prides itself on creating a hands-on learning environment to study physics in action through labs. This being said, the laboratory can be particularly dangerous if used recklessly or improperly. Please click on the link below to learn more about laboratory safety.