Buildings & Grounds

Bowdoin is located on a beautiful 207-acre campus in mid-coast Maine. There are 120 buildings of varying shapes and sizes on campus, including the historic Massachusetts Hall (built in 1802); a stone Romanesque chapel (constructed in the 1850’s), with 120-foot twin towers; the landmark Walker Art Building, built in the 1890's by McKim, Mead and White; and the recently completed Roux Center for the Environment. Bowdoin also has several off-campus facilities for scientific and environmental research, taking full advantage of its location on the coast. Click here for more information about Bowdoin’s campus and buildings. Gross square footage of campus buildings, by purpose, and acreage of grounds on and off campus are provided below.

 

Buildings

  Num.  Gross Sq. Footage 
 Total Buildings 120  2,064,131 
     
 Subtotal GSF by Purpose    
 Academic Buildings 25  611,393 
 Administrative Buildings 14  211,457 
 Faculty/Staff Housing Buildings 19  71,463 
 Student Housing Buildings 29  667,692 
 Dining Buildings 64,689 
 Student Activities Buildings 90,906 
 Athletics Buildings 10  287,490 
 Children's Center Buildings 8,000 
 Maintenance/Support Buildings 41,972 
 Undefined Purpose Buildings 9,069 

 

 

Grounds

  Acres 
 Total Campus 207 
   The Campus Quadrangle & Area 97 
   Athletic Fields 60 
   The Bowdoin Pines 50 
 Total Off Campus 447.5 
   Bowdoin Scientific Station 200 
   Bowdoin Coastal Studies Center 120.5 
     Coastal Studies Center GSF - 4,890  
     Sea Lab GSF - 3,013  
     Terrestrial Lab GSF - 1,285  
   Brunswick Landing 127