International Student Information
International Student Orientation (ISO)
- Arrival Day and time for students attending ISO is August 21 at 5:00 p.m.
- ISO will take place on August 22 and August 23. Please note that you must have already signed up for ISO.
- During ISO, you will be staying in temporary housing and will not have access to your regular academic-year housing until August 24, first-year student Arrival Day. Because of this we ask that you pack a smaller separate bag just for ISO. We will have a secure location for you to store the rest of your luggage and ask that you only take your ISO bag with you into your temporary housing.
- Here is a packing list for your ISO bag:
- Three days' worth of clothing (weather averages 60–80 Fahrenheit or 15–25 Centigrade)
- Three nights' worth of clothing/pajamas
- Raincoat and/or umbrella
- Blankets/bedding (or request a temporary sleeping bag when you check in)
- Personal medication
- Toiletries/hygiene products—toothbrush, toothpaste, hair products, shower products, towel, shower shoes, etc.
- Travel documents, including but not limited to:
- Passport with valid/current visa
- COVID-19 proof of vaccination
Town Halls for All International Students
- We are planning two town halls for all international students.
- The first session will cover travel and transportation and will be held twice on Wednesday, July 14—8:00 a.m. (ET) and 6:00 p.m. (ET).
- The second session will cover housing and campus life and will be held twice on Wednesday, August 11—8:00 a.m. (ET) and 6:00 p.m. (ET).
- Both sessions on a given day will cover the same information and are only being held twice to accommodate as many time zones as possible.
- Please submit any questions you would like answered during the town halls using this form. This survey is anonymous, so please be as candid as possible. You can ask anything you want!
- Email invites for the first town hall have already been sent out and invites for the second town hall will be sent during the first week of August. If you would like to attend but did not receive an invite, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shipping and Packing
- We highly encourage you to ship your belongings to campus before you arrive, especially any bulky or heavy items. This will make both your travels and moving in to your room easier. You can ship things directly to campus using your Smith Union (SU) mailbox. (You can find your mailbox number in Polaris under "Contact Info.")
- Please address any packages you ship to campus in the following format:
Name of student
Mailbox # Smith Union
Brunswick, ME 04011
- Please keep in mind that many items such as toiletries, beddings/linens, and school supplies can be purchased once you arrive.
The International Student Orientation Intern, Emma Conklin, is available to meet with students one–on–one to answer any questions, provide support, or just get to know you. Please click here to schedule a one-on-one meeting with her. We know that everyone is in different time zones, so if the times available at the link above do not work for you, please reach out to Emma at email@example.com and she would be more than happy to find a time that works for you.
Do not hesitate to contact Dean Khuong with any questions, concerns, or problems by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (207) 798-7026. If you would like to schedule an appointment to meet with Dean Khuong, please email Lynne Yanders. He is happy to meet with students throughout the year (and summer!) to talk about your time at Bowdoin and beyond.