Our office provides leadership, coordination, expertise, and counsel for the development of consistent and timely communications describing Bowdoin’s policies, actions, activities, and achievements.
We work to enhance the College’s visibility and to strengthen public understanding of and appreciation for Bowdoin and a quality liberal arts education. We also strive to strengthen the College’s ties with its alumni, donors, and friends and to promote and protect Bowdoin’s interests and its place among America’s finest colleges.
The department’s broad functions and responsibilities include:
- Communicating news and information about Bowdoin College to key constituent groups, both internal and external.
- Providing communications services to other departments of the College, including:
- Generation of publicity materials and placement in the news media of stories about Bowdoin, its faculty, alumni, and students (including athletes and sports teams)
- Design and production of publications and other print materials, videos, signage, and other collateral and products
- Photography services
- Research and writing for the president and members of the Board of Trustees
- General assistance and counsel in design services
- Managing and promoting Bowdoin’s relations with the public, including those with federal, state, and local government representatives, town officials, neighbors, and the Association of Bowdoin Friends.
- Administering the College’s visual identity system as it relates to publications, printed collateral, and other materials.
- Collaborating across departments to ensure electronic and social media content is compelling and complementary throughout all communication platforms.