- National Science Foundation - The NSF has an REU database that is searchable by either area of research or geographic area. Start here!
- Maine Space Consortium Webpage lists opportunities for students from grades K-12 up to graduate students.
- The Nucleus - This site has many listings for REUs, along with other resources for physics and astronomy undergraduates. There is a Research Listings search box in the upper left corner of the home page.
- Michigan State University Library - The MSU library maintains a searchable database of funding opportunities for individuals, including both research support and scholarships.
- Department of Energy - DOE Scholars Program: The DOE Scholars Program offers unique opportunities that introduce students or post-graduates to the agency's missions and operations. Appointments are available in a variety of disciplines at participating DOE facilities nationwide.
- Pathways to Science - The Institute for Broadening Participation (IBP) has a searchable index of over 650 paid summer research and internship programs in the STEM fields.
- NASA - The Office of Education Infrastructure Division Launchpad has searchable student opportunities such as fellowships, internships, and scholarships as well as information regarding recruitment events.
- The American Physical Society has a list of undergraduate (and graduate) fellowships.
- Society of Physics Students
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
The Department of Physics and Astronomy has extraordinary students doing current, relevant research each year.
There are many summer research opportunities available through Bowdoin's institutional research fellowship program, which is administered by the Office of Student Fellowships and Research. The application process is competitive, so please take the time to submit a polished application with the help of your faculty mentor. For more information, please click here. The Office of Student Fellowships and Research also maintains a searchable database that may be useful.
The Department of Physics and Astronomy receives information about research experiences for undergraduates from various programs throughout the year. We will post those here (in no particular order). Please note that this is not an endorsement of any particular program. If you are interested in a program you see listed here (or one that you find elsewhere), please talk to your advisor about whether or not it would be a good fit for your goals. See below for more information:
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine- Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology
- Organization for Tropical Studies
- Krell Institute - Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship (open to seniors going on to grad school in physics)
- Montana State University, Bozeman - Solar Physics Research Group
- National Research Council - Post-doc, grad, and senior research awards
- St. Jude Research Hospital - NIH/NCI-funded Pediatric Oncology Education (POE) Program
- Ohio Weslyan University - REU Program in scientific computation, including projects in astronomy, computer science, mathematics, and physics.
- Harvard University - Harvard Forest Summer Research Program
- Notre Dame - Physics Summer Research Positions
- Santa Fe Institute - Edward A. Knapp Undergraduate Fellowship
- Yale - Center for Research on Interface Structures and Phenomena
- Kitt Peak National Observatory - Summer Research Assistants
- University of Utah - Department of Physics and Astronomy REU
- National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network - Nanotechnology Summer Internships
- University of California, Los Angeles - UCLA Physics and Astrophysics Program
- University of Chicago - Department of Physics and Materials Research Science & Engineering Center (MRSEC)
- Princeton - Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials and Princeton Center for Complex Materials
- Utah Materials Research Science & Engineering Center - Next-Generation Materials for Plasmonics & Organic Spintronics
- Vanderbilt - NSF REU in nanoscience
- Maria Mitchell Observatory - REU in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Kansas State - Interactions of Matter, Light, and Learning
- Central Washington University - Various REUs available
- University of Washington, Seattle - Various REUs available
- Bigelow - Gulf of Maine and the World Ocean
- University of Florida - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics
- Cornell University - Astronomy and Astrophysics