Bowdoin values making study away financially transparent and accessible.

Your Bowdoin account must be in good standing for you to be eligible to study off campus, and to have your student aid transferred to your program or university. If uncertain of your account status, call the Bursar’s Office (x3249).

Families who do receive Bowdoin aid will be able to transfer that aid toward the total cost of their student’s program/university, up to the total cost of a semester on-campus. Families should expect to pay approximately the same for a semester off-campus as for a semester on-campus. (Note: aid packages are based on basic accommodation options, e.g., a double room in a residence hall, rather than a single room). Check out this tip sheet from the Student Aid Office.)

Families who do not receive aid but take out loans often are able to continue to do so for an accredited off-campus institution and can work with the Student Aid Office in this process.

If you receive aid at Bowdoin, meet with your SAO advisor early in your OCS process!

Student Aid and Off-Campus Study FAQ.

Student looking at water
Onshore in New Zealand during SEA Semester voyage.

Families who do not receive Bowdoin aid will simply pay their student’s program/university fees directly to that institution and provide for related expenses such as flights, visas, and books out of pocket.