Payroll Advances

Date: August 2010

Policy: The College does not grant payroll advances except under extraordinary circumstances (e.g., funeral expenses; prevention of foreclosure or eviction from primary residence, or other cases of extreme hardship accepted at the discretion of the College).

Requests for payroll advances must be approved by the Director of Human Resources and the Manager of Payroll and Accounts payable. The dollar amount of any approved advance may not exceed 50% of your average gross pay.

The College is very fortunate to have two funds – the Paller Fund and the Bowdoin Staff Assistance Fund – to assist employees facing unexpected financial hardship with limited one-time awards. Confidential inquiries about these funds may be directed to the Director of Human Resources.