Resources and Opportunities
"The Africana Studies department challenged me to think critically about racial disparities in our society." —Hannah Wurgaft '14
H&L Library's Special Collections and Archives
- Africana Studies Resources in the George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives
- Africana Books and Other Printed Materials
- Malaga Island, Maine - A Story Best Left Untold
- Maine Memory Network’s African American image gallery.
- African Art and Culture in Maine (.pdf) - A 2006 article by Simon Ottenberg on African art and culture in Maine.
- An American for the Arts study on Africans in Maine (.pdf)
- Portland's Freedom Trail
- Portland’s Museum of African Art and Culture
- A guide to Portsmouth, New Hampshire’s Black Heritage Trail.
- A guide to African American cultural and historical sites in Boston.
- The New England Historic Genealogical Society’s African American research page.