Tax Forms and Information
In previous years, Box 2 of IRS form 1098-T included qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) billed to the student’s account during the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, Bowdoin College will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE paid during the year. The 1098-T will be available by January 31, 2019.
Amounts reported as paid in 2018 will include:
- Checks mailed to the Bowdoin College Bursar’s Office at 5420 College Station, Brunswick, ME with a postmark of December 31, 2018 or prior.
- Checks received at our Bank of America lockbox in Boston, MA by December 31, 2018.
- Wire transfer payments credited to Bowdoin’s bank account on or before December 31, 2018.
- Tuition Management Systems (TMS) installment payments received at TMS on or before December 31, 2018.
- Online payments made via QuikPay on or before December 31, 2018.
If you have questions about how this reporting change will affect you, you should consult a tax professional.
For more information about Form 1098-T, visit https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1098t.pdf.