Mary Lou Zeeman
R. Wells Johnson Professor of Mathematics
On leave for 2018-19 academic year
Searles Science Building - 103
- B.A. & M.A. University of Oxford, UK
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley
- Geometric dynamical systems, mathematical biology, population dynamics, neuroendocrinology and hormone oscillations, climate modeling, sustainability and resilience.
- 2016 SIAM Conference on Math of Planet Earth. Patrick Canning, Hans Kaper and Mary Lou Zeman, Minitutorial: Mathematical Issues in Food Systems: https://www.pathlms.com/siam/courses/3263/sections/4768
- 2013 MAA Distinguished Lecture, Harnessing Math to Understand Tipping Points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9OW8vaRVdQ
Associated article: http://www.maa.org/meetings/calendar-events/maa-distinguished-lecture-series/harnessing-math-to-understand-tipping-points
- 2013 SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, 2013
Exploring the Decision-Support Component of MPE Questions
- Podcast 2007: Mathematical Modeling in Biology: What is it? and how is it useful?
Panel discussions and Interviews
- 2015 Yes, It Still Matters — Why and How We Teach the Liberal Arts, panel discussion. Inaugural Symposium for Bowdoin President Clayton Rose. https://vimeo.com/143180921
- 2013 Audio Interview about MLZ's life and math with MAA Director of Publications Ivars Peterson. http://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/audio_clips/Zeeman_interview03_2013.mp3
- "Reaching Day Zero", Bowdoin Sustainability Panel, 2013: http://community.bowdoin.edu/news/2013/04/bowdoin-experts-what-students-can-do-about-climate-change/
- Video Interview 2012: Joint Mathematics Meetings; Mathematics to Address Climate and Sustainability
- Bowdoin News 2014 http://community.bowdoin.edu/news/2014/09/sabbatical-seminars-zeeman-on-tipping-points-and-environmental-resilience/
- Bowdoin Academic Spotlight 2010: Modeling Climate Change Through Mathematical Collaboration
- Bowdoin Academic Spotlight 2007: Zeeman's Biomathematical Research
|Mathematics and Climate Research Network
||Mathematics of Planet Earth
|Computational Sustainability Network
||Sir Christopher Zeeman Archive
Mathematics, Sustainability, and a Bridge to Decision Support.
Mary Lou Zeeman
Guest Editorial, The College Mathematics Journal
Vol. 44, No. 5 (November 2013), pp. 346-349
Constant proportion harvest policies: dynamic implications in the Pacific halibut and Atlantic cod fisheries.
A.-A. Yakubu, N. Li, J.M. Conrad and M.L. Zeeman
Mathematical Biosciences. 232 (2011) 66–77
Pituitary network connectivity as a mechanism for the luteinising hormone surge.
D. Lyles, J.H. Tien, D.P. McCobb and M.L. Zeeman
J. Neuroendocrinology. 22 (2010) 1267-1278.
Social stress alters expression of BK potassium channel subunits in mouse adrenal medulla and pituitary glands.
O. Chatterjee, L.A. Taylor, S. Ahmed, S. Nagaraj, J.J. Hall, S.M. Finckbeiner, P.S. Chan, N. Suda, J.T. King, M.L. Zeeman and D.P. McCobb
J. Neuroendocrinology. 21 (2009) 167-76.
β2 and β4 Subunits of BK Channels Confer Differential Sensitivity to Acute Modulation by Steroid Hormones.
J. T. King, P. Lovell, M. Rishniw, M. I. Kotlikoff, M.L. Zeeman and D. P. McCobb
J. Neurophysiology. 95 (2006) 2878 – 2888.
A potential role of modulating inosotol 1,4,5-triphosphate receptor desensitization and recovery rates in regulating ovulation
J. Tien, D. Lyles and M. L. Zeeman
Journal of Theoretical Biology 232 (2005) 105-117
Disease induced oscillations between two competing species
P. van den Driessche and M. L. Zeeman
SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems 3 (2005) 601-619
Resonance in the menstrual cycle: a new model of the LH surge
M. L. Zeeman, W. Weckesser and D. Gokhman
Reproductive Biomedicine Online 7 (2003) 295-300
From local to global behavior in competitive Lotka-Volterra systems
E. C. Zeeman and M. L. Zeeman
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 355 (2003) 713-734
An n-dimensional competitive Lotka-Volterra system is generically determined by the edges of its carrying simplex.
E. C. Zeeman and M.L. Zeeman
Nonlinearity. 15 (2002) 2019-2032.
Bounding the number of cycles of O.D.E.’s in R.
M. Farkas, P. van den Driessche and M.L. Zeeman
Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. 129 (2001) 443-449
Three-dimensional competitive Lotka-Volterra systems with no periodic orbits
P. van den Driessche and M. L. Zeeman
SIAM J. Appl. Math. 58 (1998) 227-234
A bridge between the Bendixson-Dulac criterion in R2 and Liapunov functions in Rn
J. Pace and M. L. Zeeman
Canadian Applied Mathematics Quarterly 6 (1998) 189--193.
On directed periodic orbits in three-dimensional competitive Lotka-Volterra systems.
Proc Int’l Conf DEs & Applications to Biology & to Industry. World Scientific, Singapore, (1996) 563–572
Extinction in nonautonomous competitive Lotka-Volterra systems.
F. Montes de Oca and M.L. Zeeman
Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. 124 (1996) 3677–3687.
Balancing survival and extinction in nonautonomous competitive Lotka-Volterra systems
F. Montes de Oca and M. L. Zeeman
J. Math. Anal. Appl. 192 (1995) 360-370
| J. Math. Anal. Appl.
Extinction in competitive Lotka-Volterra systems.
Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. 123 (1995) 87–96.
Geometric methods in population dynamics.
Proc. Symposium Comparison Methods & Stability Theory. Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY. (1994) 339–347.
On the convexity of carrying simplices in competitive Lotka-Volterra systems.
E. C. Zeeman, M.L. Zeeman
Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems & Control Science. Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY. (1993) 353-364.
Hopf bifurcations in competitive three-dimensional Lotka-Volterra systems
M. L. Zeeman
Dynamics Stability Systems 8 (1993) 189-217
Ruthenium Dioxide Hydrate, is it a Redox Catalyst?,
A. Mills and M. L. Zeeman
J. Chemical Society, Chemical Communications, 1981, 948-950.