Academic Continuity and Resources

Library exterior

Academic Continuity and Resources

In order to provide the best learning experience possible, nearly all classes, including those on campus, will be taught online. This learning model will bear little resemblance to the emergency version that was created in the spring. Allowing faculty to focus on a single model of teaching, and directing our resources to that single model—rather than a hybrid model—will create the conditions for crafting powerful online course offerings. The College will return to its standard grading for the 2020–2021 academic year. However, recognizing that students may encounter challenges this fall, several temporary grade-related policy changes for the fall semester will be implemented.

First-Year Writing Seminar Program

The one exception to the online learning model for the fall is that many, if not most, first-year writing seminars will be taught in person or have in-person components. We also anticipate that faculty will develop opportunities for in-person intellectual engagement for the first-year students. Students in first-year writing seminars will need to wear face coverings at all times indoors and follow campus status guidelines while outdoors.

Remote Learning

The Continuity in Teaching and Learning Group (CTLG) spent the spring and early summer researching best practices for online learning and teaching and making recommendations for how best to prepare for online learning this fall. A campus team, with participation from the Baldwin Center for Teaching and Learning, the Library, academic technology and consulting, and information technology, is conducting training sessions this summer for faculty informed by the CTLG report and recommendations. And this work will be enhanced by a partnership with a firm that has expertise in online teaching and learning, and that “gets” the specific nature of our liberal arts model. While it will be very different from the on-campus teaching and learning experience we’re accustomed to, our faculty will embrace the opportunity to translate their courses into an online environment and will deliver an excellent education to all of our students this fall.

Library, Technology, and Other Resources

When the campus status is orange or red, librarians will be available for virtual information as well as pick-up and drop-off of materials. While the campus status is yellow, the libraries will be available for use, though resources may be limited. To provide broad accessibility and equity in the learning process and universal design advocated by the Continuity in Teaching and Learning Group (CTLG), the College will issue an Apple iPad Pro with available Wi-Fi and cellular data connectivity, an Apple Pencil 2, and the Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad, which includes a trackpad. With this common mobile computing platform, students will have the opportunity to connect to their classes, build community with each other, run the same apps and software at the same performance level, and also receive the same support, regardless of their location or learning situation. More details about Bowdoin’s iPad program are available here.

How to Request Academic Accommodations

Please reach out to the Office of the Dean of Students (207)-725-3149 or the Office of Student Accessibility (207)-798-4187 with questions about temporary or long-term academic accommodations.


Student access to printing will generally be at Hawthorne-Longfellow Library and Smith Union when appropriate access is granted based on the Campus Status Level.