Bowdoin Science Experience
August 26 - 30, 2014
The Bowdoin Science Experience (BSE) is committed to developing the talents of all students interested in science and mathematics—especially those students from groups underrepresented in the sciences—including students of color, women, and first-generation college students. The major goal of this orientation program is to provide students with an effective start to their science or math careers. There are no prerequisites for participation in this program.
The Bowdoin Science Experience offers students the opportunity to:
- Gain early insights into science and math at Bowdoin
- Become familiar with faculty, the campus, and a select group of your peers
- Learn about research opportunities on and off campusJump-start to their science or math career
- Work closely with science faculty and mentors Hone their problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Improve their ability to work effectively in groups
- Develop a network of friends and science peers
- Become familiar with the campus
- Learn about academic and student life resources
During the BSE Program, students will:
- Meet faculty who teach science and mathematics courses. Faculty will help students plan a college experience that will meet their educational and professional goals.
- Be assigned to and meet with their first-year advisor, who is a professor in the sciences or math.
- Learn about a wide range of campus resources, discuss study strategies and courses—all to help BSE students get a step ahead when classes begin.
- Become acquainted with students who share their interest in science and/or math. When classes begin, BSE participants will already have a network of friends and familiar faces they can depend on.
- Participate in college laboratory exercises, make a short oral research presentation, and participate in collaborative problem-solving.
- Get to know the Brunswick area.
- Have fun and win fun science prizes!
Events and activities throughout the year
Although participants will see their new friends from BSE all over campus—in the residence halls, in science and math classes, in the dining hall—throughout the first year, the experience will also offer ongoing activities, such as lunches, dinners and social outings. These special programs will bring the whole group back together to focus on topics that will help make the most of their time at Bowdoin.
By building relationships with faculty, BSE provides an avenue for early entry into Bowdoin’s active and successful student research program.
Learn More About BSE on Facebook