Associate Professor of Mathematics
Searles Science Building - 205
Teaching this semester
MATH 2301. Intermediate Linear Algebra
A continuation of Linear Algebra focused on the interplay of algebra and geometry as well as mathematical theory and its applications. Topics include matrix decompositions, eigenvalues and spectral theory, vector and Hilbert spaces, norms and low-rank approximations. Applications to biology, computer science, economics, and statistics, including artificial learning and pattern recognition, principal component analysis, and stochastic systems. Course and laboratory work balanced between theory and application.
MATH 2603. Introduction to Analysis
Thomas Pietraho Jennifer Taback
Building on the theoretical underpinnings of calculus, develops the rudiments of mathematical analysis. Concepts such as limits and convergence from calculus are made rigorous and extended to other contexts, such as spaces of functions. Specific topics include metric spaces, point-set topology, sequences and series, continuity, differentiability, the theory of Riemann integration, and functional approximation and convergence.
- B.A. and M.S., University of Chicago
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Representation theory of reductive Lie groups, geometric quantization, and the combinatorics of representation theory.
Drafts of and links to the following articles are available on my personal web page.
- Orbital Varieties and Unipotent Representations of Classical Semisimple Lie Groups, PhD Thesis, MIT.
- Components of the Springer Fiber and Domino Tableaux, Journal of Algebra, 272 (2):711-729, 2004. arXiv:math.RT/0210416
- A Relation for Domino Robinson-Schensted Algorithms, Annals of Combinatorics, 13 (4):519-532, 2010. arXiv:math.CO/0603654.
- Orbital Varieties and Unipotent Representations Attached to Spherical Orbits, arXiv:math.RT/0603685
- Cells in the Weyl Groups of type B(n), Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics, 27(2):247-262, 2008. arXiv:math/0607231
- Cells and Constructible Representations in Type B, New York Journal of Mathematics 14:411-430, 2008. arXiv: 0710.3846
- Knuth Relations for the Hyperoctahedral Groups, Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics, 29(4):509-535, 2009.
- Module Structure of Cells in Unequal Parameter Hecke Algebras, Nagoya Mathematical Journal, 198(2010). arXiv:0902.1907
- Sign under the domino Robinson-Schensted maps, Annals of Combinatorics 18 (2014). arXiv:1301.1356.
- On the Sign Representations for the Complex Reflection Groups G(r,p,n) (with A. Mbirika and W. Silver), arXiv:1303.5021.
Thomas Pietraho's Personal Page »