Academic Requirements for a Degree
To qualify for the bachelor of arts degree, a student must have:
- successfully passed thirty-two full-credit courses (or the equivalent);
- spent four semesters (successfully passed sixteen credits) in residence, at least two semesters of which have been during the junior and senior years;
- completed a first-year seminar; this should normally be completed by the end of the first semester and must be completed by the end of the second semester in college;
- completed at least one full-credit course (or the equivalent) in each of the following five distribution areas-mathematical, computational, or statistical reasoning; inquiry in the natural sciences; exploring social differences; international perspectives; and visual and performing arts; these should normally be completed by the end of the fourth semester in college (the end of the student's sophomore year);
- completed at least one full-credit course (or the equivalent) in each of the following three divisions of the curriculum-natural science and mathematics, social and behavioral sciences, and humanities (in addition to the required course in the visual and performing arts); and
- completed an approved major.