College Honors Lifelong Volunteer and Original Meddiebempster
Story posted October 15, 1998
Oct. 1, 1998, BRUNSWICK, Maine - The first-floor North Lounge Conference Room at Cram Alumni House will be renamed the Geoffrey R. Stanwood Room, honoring a man who for six decades devoted much of his professional and volunteer time to Bowdoin.
Stanwood is credited with founding the Meddiebempsters, Bowdoin's male a cappella singing group, in 1937. Throughout his life, he continued to be an active supporter of, and singer with, generations of Meddies. The dedication ceremony is being held in conjunction with a Meddiebempster reunion on campus.
After a long career in retail public relations in Massachusetts, Stanwood returned to Bowdoin in 1972 as assistant to the vice president for development. In 1975, he was appointed program coordinator for the Breckinridge Public Affairs Center in York. Five years later, he was appointed assistant to the president; when he retired in 1983, he was elected assistant to the president emeritus.
As a volunteer for Bowdoin, he served as a member at large of the Alumni Council from 1969 to 1973, president and class reunion chairman for nearly 60 years, secretary of the Bowdoin Club of Boston, class agent, and as a capital campaign volunteer. He also was a volunteer track official for Bowdoin for many years, serving as a referee and inspector. In 1988, he received the Alumni Service Award.
Stanwood also was a vital and active volunteer in the community throughout his life. His long list of community service includes stints as president of the Brunswick Area United Way and the Brunswick Village Improvement Association; trustee for Children's Hospital Medical Center in Boston , the New England Committee for Agricultural Development, and the Massachusetts 4-H Foundation; and a vestryman for St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Brunswick.
« Back | Campus News | Academic Spotlight | | Subscribe to Bowdoin News by Email