Multicultural Student Programs is housed in two locations, 30 College Street and the Russwurm African-American House with student interns living and programming for both spaces.
30 College Street is home to Bowdoin's multicultural student and spiritual/religious organizations. The first floor of the building is dedicated to general student use. There are rooms for meeting, dining, prayer, and socializing. There are also two kitchens on the first floor: one general purpose kitchen and a kitchen used solely to prepare foods that are either kosher or halal. The rooms on the first floor are usually open to casually use, but they can also be reserved for specific events. Also housed on the first floor are the offices of Leana Amaez, Associate Dean for Multicultural Student Programs, and Bob Ives, Director of Spiritual and Religious Life. The second floor contains offices and resources for student leaders. The third floor is housing for student interns.
Reserve space in 30 College Street or Russwurm.
Russwurm African American Center
The building that houses the John Brown Russwurm African American Center was originally built in 1827 for Professor Alpheus Spring Packard, Professor of Ancient Language and Classical Literature who in 1836 sold half to William Smyth, Professor of Mathematics. For the next 35 years the house was known as the Packard-Smyth House. The house has also been known as the Mitchell-Little House (after subsequent owners). The rumors concerning the house as an Underground Railroad Station in the middle of the 19th century are not documented and cannot be positively proven. However, it is well documented that Professor William Smyth was an avid abolitionist. In an unpublished work, Smyth's son does reminisce on the many fugitives that visited their home in the night and were gone by morning's light.
Learn more about John Brown Russwurm (1799-1851), Bowdoin's first African-American graduate (Class of 1826).