Meeting Minutes

October 7, 2005

To: BAS Steering Committee Members
From: Leanne Pander
Date: October 7, 2005
Re: Minutes from Steering Committee Meeting 10/07/05

Present: Meg Hart, Juli Haugen, Scott Meiklejohn, Leanne Pander (Reporting), Sue O'Dell, Peter Wagner, Jeff Tuttle

BAS Social: The social gathering at Magee's last Friday, Sept. 30, was fun, though moderately attended. Bowdoin Step Team performed and were excellent! We don't yet have the final bill, but it probably was not too expensive and it seems worthwhile to do it again next semester. We discussed whether Friday is the best day to hold a social, but agreed that no after-work day would be ideal for everyone!

"Did You Know" Announcements: Quite a few suggestions have come in to the BAS mailbox for activities, etc., that we will share with the Administrative staff via the BAS email address. Peter has mentioned this idea to Support Staff Advocacy Committee, and agreed to send these tidbits out to support staff as well. Juli volunteered to start sending them out every two weeks or so. She will include a link to the BAS web site in each message.

BAS Web Site & Minutes: We will continue to post minutes on the web site, and will NOT send them out to the whole membership every month. The link to the web site from "Did You Know" emails should remind interested people to take a look there. Juli offered to update outdated information on the site.

Wellness Fair: We had asked Lester to check with Tama about why the fair would not be held this year, despite its popularity. He had reported that Tama said the fair was too staff labor-intensive to continue. Meg was able to elaborate on this somewhat: the Wellness Fair required so much planning, coordinating with vendors, etc., that one member of the HR staff literally spent days on the phone getting everything set up. Meg will ask Tama to clarify whether the fair will be held again in the future, perhaps every other year instead of annually.

BAS Luncheon: We selected the week of November 7 to hold a BAS Lunch with speaker(s). Peter will contact Dining Services to select the best date, aiming for Tuesday, November 8. There are several ideas for presentations for this luncheon; Scott will check with people to try and arrange this part of the program. The luncheon will be underwritten by BAS, and we decided not to purchase door prizes this time. Peter will put together an invitation to send out to administrative staff. Name tags, etc., are usually available from Events, or we can buy some at the Bookstore. RSVP will be requested because space is limited in Daggett.

Next Meeting: Friday, November 3, 2005, 9:00-10:00 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Leanne Pander
Secretary