Meeting Minutes

January 5, 2005

To: BAS Steering Committee Members
From: Leanne Pander
Date: January 5, 2005
Re: Minutes from Steering Committee Meeting 01/05/2005

Present: Meg Hart, Jim Kelley, Ruth Maschino, Scott Meiklejohn, Leanne Pander (reporting), Sarah Phinney, Lester Prue, Peter Wagner

Terms for BAS Steering Committee Members: Because of the turnover of half the Steering Committee (SC) membership every year, it has been felt that the group lacked enough "institutional memory" to work as effectively as we would like. We propose changing the process so every person elected in the future will serve a three-year term rather than two years. As members rotate off the SC, there will be two or three people left who have at least two years of experience to carry the SC forward more seamlessly. We discussed a proposed schedule that Peter had put together to show how the rotation would work over the next several years. Peter will refine the proposal based on points brought up in today's discussion.

Steering Committee Leadership: We recommend establishing a "co-chair" system instead of the current chairperson and vice-chair. As the new three-year rotation gets under way, a member in their third year on the SC will be the "lead" co-chairperson, and a member in their second year will be co-chair; the following year the co-chair will become the lead chairperson. Therefore, as someone steps into the position of co-chair, they must be committed to continuing in this role for two years. The two co-chairs will share leadership responsibilities for the BAS SC, and there will be greater continuity from year to year.

Elections: The current bylaws state that elections to the BAS SC are held in January of each year; this schedule was established when the committee appointments ran from January to December. As of July 2004, the SC terms changed to a fiscal year schedule, July through June, to correspond with other College committees. Therefore, we recommend changing the election schedule to take place later in Spring semester, closer to the time when the newly elected members will begin their terms.

Meg noted that we should hold the elections early enough to allow the new members' names to be listed in the College Catalogue for the coming Fall.

It was suggested that once the new election schedule is established, the SC should develop an "Election Handbook" outlining the process.

BAS Bylaws: Some adjustments must be made to the Bylaws so the SC can legitimately make some of the changes suggested above. The Bylaws do not contain much detail, so a good amount of flexibility is possible. However, they specifically state that elections are held in January of each year, so this statement will have to be altered. The Bylaws show the term length for SC members as two years, so this must be changed to three years; and the starting date of the term beginning July 1 also should be added. Sarah and Ruth will work together this week to draft rewording of those sections of the Bylaws affected, and we expect to send the proposed changes out to the BAS membership to vote on around the third week of January. [It was suggested that we be ready to hold elections at the end of January, in case the membership doesn't approve the changes to the Bylaws, but we do not expect that will be the case.]

Steering Committee Officers: Peter Wagner and Ruth Maschino will serve as co-chairs for the remainder of the current term, through June 2005. Ruth will step down as co-chair in July 2005, and Peter will continue as co-chair for 2005/06. A new co-chair to replace Ruth for 2005/06 will be selected from the SC membership in July 2005, and we expect that the revised pattern for co-chairs (described above under Steering Committee Leadership) will take effect at that time.

Leanne Pander will serve as secretary through June 2005 and is willing to continue through 2005/06 if requested to do so.

Administrative Staff Service Grants: In the past there has been much hopeful discussion regarding the establishment of sabbaticals for administrative staff members. Since this goal probably cannot be attained, we plan to explore instead the development of a support program to enable and encourage administrative staff to become involved in "common good" projects. These might be programs related to students' service learning projects, other Bowdoin-related activities, or activities to be defined by the staff member, with the expectation that they would probably be short-term projects. The SC will research funding, liability, etc.; Ruth and Sarah will check with Susan Dorn, Director of the Community Service Resource Center, for ideas. We hope to invite Susan to a future SC meeting for a more general discussion.

Polar Star Awards: The SC plans to explore how administrative staff members can become more involved in reviewing nominations for the College's Polar Star awards. Peter will check with staff at Human Resources to find out how we might offer assistance and a regular presence in the Polar Star program.

Funds: Jim Kelley reminded us that we have $1,500 at our disposal for BAS activities. After we get the bylaws and elections worked out, we will discuss activities to sponsor in the coming semester.

GLBT Group: The Counseling Center has approached Jim asking whether the BAS SC can help with the development of a new student/staff group. Students would like to set up dinners and/or informal gatherings for students and staff members interested in supporting Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgendered issues on campus. The students have noted that there is very little opportunity to meet with staff members to discuss these issues and to encourage staff support and awareness. It is hoped that both Support Staff and Administrative Staff will be interested in participating in this new group. Jim will follow up to learn specifically how we can help with this proposal.

BAS Web Site: Leanne asked how we could go about updating the information on the BAS Web Site. Ruth referred her to Holly Sherburne, Web Content Producer, in IT. Leanne will follow up on this.

Respectfully Submitted,

Leanne N. Pander

Postscript:

Proposed Meeting Schedule for BAS Steering Committee Meetings: After the January 5 meeting, Sarah Phinney reserved Smith Union Conference Room for the following dates for us to meet through July 1, when SC membership will change. Please note that one meeting, on June 3, will be held in the Whiteside Room, 16th floor of Coles Tower.

Friday, February 4, 2005
9:00 am - 10:15 am Smith Union Conference Room

Friday, March 4, 2005
9:00 am - 10:15 am Smith Union Conference Room

Friday, April 1, 2005
9:00 am - 10:15 am Smith Union Conference Room

Friday, May 6, 2005
9:00 am - 10:15 am Smith Union Conference Room

Friday, June 3, 2005
9:00 am - 10:15 am Whiteside Seminar Room, 16th Floor Coles Tower

Friday, July 1, 2005
9:00 am - 10:15 am Smith Union Conference Room