Museum Awarded Luce Foundation Grant
Story posted July 02, 2007
The Bowdoin College Museum of Art has been awarded a $15,000 grant from the Henry Luce Foundation as part of a one-year conservation initiative for American art collections in U.S. museums.
The money will be used for the conservation and framing of some of the American art that will be on view at the Museumís reopening October 14, 2007.
In 2005 the Museum received from the Luce Foundation a $75,000 grant toward the organization of three American art exhibitions. A reopening exhibition featuring the collections of the Walker sisters, who commissioned the Walker Art Building for the College in 1894, is the first of three exhibitions to be supported by this grant.
The late Henry R. Luce, co-founder and editor-in-chief of Time Inc., established the Henry Luce Foundation in 1936. The foundationís work reflects the interests of four generations of the Luce family. These include the interdisciplinary exploration of higher education; increased understanding between Asia and the United States; the study of religion and theology; scholarship in American art; opportunities for women in science and engineering; and environmental and public policy programs.
« Back | Campus News | Academic Spotlight | | Subscribe to Bowdoin News by Email