Story posted March 30, 2007
The long-awaited transformation of the Curtis Pool into a new 287-seat recital hall is nearing completion with a series of inaugural concerts scheduled for early May. The $15 million renovation will provide the College with a state-of-the-art musical performance facility to complement the renovation of the 610-seat Pickard Theater and construction of the 150-seat Wish Theater (both completed in 2000), and the $20.8 million renovation and restoration of the Walker Art Building, which will re-open in October.
The Curtis Pool Building, originally designed by famed architects McKim, Mead and White, served as the College’s pool from 1928 to 1987, when the Farley Field House complex (with a pool later named for Bowdoin President Emeritus A. LeRoy Greason) opened.
The new recital hall, designed by William Rawn Associates of Boston, is central to Bowdoin’s vision for achieving excellence in the arts. The hall’s acoustical design meets top standards and the renovation satisfies students’ expectations for practice space in nine individual practice rooms. A rehearsal room, green room, lobby areas and new and refurbished pianos complete what will now be the center of musical teaching, training and performance at the College.