Trustees Elect New Members, Approve Budget, at May Meetings
Story posted May 19, 2006
The Bowdoin College Board of Trustees elected six new members and approved a budget of $122 million for the 2006/07 fiscal year during meetings on campus May 11-13, 2006.
Leonard W. Cotton '71, Karen T. Hughes P'05, '07, Bradford A. Hunter '78, Ann Hambelton Kenyon '79, Henry T. Moniz '86, and H. Allen Ryan '64 were elected to their first terms on the Board.
- Cotton, of New Canaan, Conn., is chairman and CEO of ARCap REIT, Inc., in New Canaan.
- Hughes, of New York City, is senior vice president of Ruder Finn in New York.
- Hunter, of Falmouth, Maine, is senior project manager, corporate real estate development, at L.L. Bean, Inc., Freeport.
- Kenyon, of Chappaqua, N.Y., is firm director at Deloitte & Touche LLP.
- Moniz, of Old Greenwich, Conn., is vice president, associate general counsel, compliance, at Viacom, Inc., in New York.
- Ryan, of Manchester, Maine, is the retired chairman of NorthCenter Foodservice in Augusta, Maine.
In other action, the Board of Trustees approved an operating budget of $105,255,000 and a financial aid budget of $17,380,000 for the 2006/07 fiscal year. The new budget includes an increase of 5.5 percent in Bowdoin's comprehensive fee ($34,280 for tuition, $9,310 for room and board, and $360 for the student activities fee for 2006/07).
The Board voted to promote two faculty members to the rank of Associate Professor, with tenure, effective July 1, 2006. The newly tenured faculty are K. Page Herrlinger, history; and Dharni Vasudevan, chemistry and environmental studies.
Trustees re-elected to an additional five-year term on the Board were
- Tracy J. Burlock '81 of Newton, Mass.;
- Michael S. Cary '71 of Bozeman, Mont., executive director, Yellowstone Park Foundation;
- Marc B. Garnick '68, M.D., of Brookline, Mass., professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and physician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center;
- Stephen F. Gormley '72 of Chestnut Hill, Mass., managing partner, Great Hill Partners;
- Alvin D. Hall '74 of New York City, president, Cooperhall Press, Inc.;
- James W. MacAllen '66 of Hingham, Mass.;
- Lisa A. McElaney '77 of Brookline, Mass., president/executive producer, Vida Health Communications, Inc.;
- Joan Benoit Samuelson '79 of Freeport, Maine;
- Sheldon M. Stone '74 of Los Angeles, Calif., principal, Oaktree Capital Management, LLC.
MacAllen '66 was also elected to a three-year term as Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees, succeeding Burlock '81, who completed her three-year term.
David R. Treadwell '64 of Brunswick, Maine, was re-elected as Assistant Secretary of the Bowdoin College Board of Trustees for a term of five years.
Six board members whose terms are ending were elected to emeritus status:
- Geoffrey Canada '74 of New York City, president and CEO of Harlem Children's Zone;
- Michael M. Crow P'02 of Paradise Valley, Ariz., president and professor of public affairs, Arizona State University;
- Nancy Bellhouse May '78 of Little Rock, Ark., editor, The Journal of Appellate Practice and Process;
- Edgar Moore Reed '69 of West Hartford, Conn., business development manager, SS&C Technologies, Inc.;
- Lee Dickinson Rowe '70, of Wallingford, Penn., president, Philadelphia Ear, Nose, and Throat Surgical Associates;
- Hon. John Alden Woodcock Jr. '72 of Bangor, Maine, United States District Court judge.
Three retiring faculty members were elected to emeritus status effective July 1, 2006. Daniel Levine was elected Thomas Brackett Reed Professor of History and Political Science, Emeritus; Randolph Stakeman was elected Associate Professor of History and Director of the Africana Studies Program, Emeritus; and Allen B. Tucker was elected Anne T. and Robert M. Bass Professor of Natural Sciences, Emeritus.
Two employees of the College were also elected to emeritus status, effective July 1, 2006. Richard E. Steele was elected Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, Emeritus; and Lucie G. Teegarden was elected Director of Publications, Emerita.
« Back | Campus News | Academic Spotlight | | Subscribe to Bowdoin News by Email