Presidentís House Placed on Register of National Historic Landmarks
Story posted June 16, 2000
The Parker Cleaveland House at 75 Federal Street in Brunswick, the home of Bowdoin President Robert H. Edwards, has been placed on the National Park Serviceís register of national historic landmarks.
The house was built in 1806 for Bowdoin professor Parker Cleaveland, known as the "Father of American Mineralogy" for his groundbreaking geological studies. His 1816 "Elementary Treatise on Mineralogy and Geology" was the first book ever published on American geology.
Cleaveland lived in the house until his death in 1858. The college purchased it in 1992 for President Edwardsí private home. Edwards and his wife Blythe have opened its doors wide to visitors. Last year they hosted 107 college-related events, bringing about 3,500 people into the house.
The houseís wide pine flooring, nine fireplaces and barn have been preserved, and its interior is decorated with period furniture and artwork from the collegeís museum.
The Cleaveland House joins 2,310 other properties on the landmark register, including its Federal Street neighbor, the Harriet Beecher Stowe House, where the abolitionist penned "Uncle Tomís Cabin."
« Back | Campus News | Academic Spotlight | | Subscribe to Bowdoin News by Email