Page Named Pickard Professor of Chemistry
Story posted February 15, 1998
BRUNSWICK, Maine -- David S. Page of Brunswick has been named has been named the Charles Weston Pickard Professor of Chemistry at Bowdoin College. Page joined the Bowdoin faculty in 1974 as an assistant professor. He was promoted to associate professor in 1974 and to full professor in 1982.
Page is an internationally recognized expert on the environmental impact of oil spills in marine environments, conducting research for both private and government firms. He conducted on-site research on two of the world's largest oil spills: the 1978 Amoco Cadez spill off the coast of France and the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska's Prince William Sound.
"For many years David Page has been at the forefront of research into important questions about the chemistry of the environment," said Bowdoin Dean for Academic Affairs Charles Beitz. "His scientific work -- often in collaboration with Bowdoin students -- has been influential both within and beyond his discipline. It's wonderful to recognize his achievements with the award of the Pickard chair."
The author of more than 75 articles in chemistry and biochemistry, Page's work has appeared in the Journal of the American Chemical Society, Marine Environmental Research, and Chemistry and Ecology, among others. He also is the author of the textbook "Principles of Biological Chemistry" (Willard Grant Press Inc., 1981).
Page earned his bachelor's degree in chemistry from Brown University and his doctorate from Purdue University. Prior to coming to Bowdoin, he worked at Purdue and Bates College. While at Bowdoin, Page has served as a member of the College's Strategic Planning Task Force and chair of the chemistry department. He has also served as a visiting scientist at the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography at the University of Georgia and at the Plymouth Marine Laboratory in Plymouth, England.
The Pickard Professorship was established in 1952 in honor of Charles W. Pickard, a member of the Bowdoin Class of 1857, by his son, Frederick W. Pickard, of the Bowdoin Class of 1894. The professorship honors a professor of chemistry or a foreign language.Charles Pickard, a native of Lewiston, spent 48 years as business manager and owner of the Portland Transcript, a weekly newspaper. He served as a College Overseer from 1896 to 1908, the year he died.
]Previous holders of the Pickard Professorship were William C. Root and Samuel E. Kamerling from 1952 to 1969, and Dana W. Mayo from 1970 until his retirement in 1991.
« Back | Campus News | Academic Spotlight | | Subscribe to Bowdoin News by Email