Story posted March 31, 2006
Bowdoin College's Kanbar Hall has received a 2005 outstanding building award from the American School & University (AS&U) Architectural Portfolio.
For more than 20 years the Architectural Portfolio has been the industry's most recognized awards program for education design excellence.
Published in cooperation with the American Institute of Architects, this prestigious competition celebrates architects and education institutions for their achievements in outstanding school design.
Kanbar Hall was honored in the 2005 Outstanding Building: Post Secondary category.
Opened in September 2004, Kanbar Hall houses the departments of psychology and education, and the College's Center for Learning and Teaching, which includes the Baldwin Center, the Quantitative Skills Program, and the Writing Project.
The three-story, 26,000-square-foot building, located on the northeast corner of the campus, provides an entry to campus on one side and completes the science quadrangle on the other. The classrooms, labs, meeting spaces and lounges were designed to promote connectivity, interaction and flexibility. Maximum use of glass adds to the transparency and natural lighting for the under-cut first floor, while the red brick in the "floating" masonry upper levels links the color and texture of the fašade to that of adjacent historic buildings.
In choosing Kanbar Hall for the award, AS&U noted: "Set within Bowdoin's historic campus as if it had always been there, Kanbar Hall is a forward-looking academic building that celebrates connectivity and different styles of learning.... The design establishes strong indoor and outdoor relationships through light-filled spaces, preservation of pine trees, outdoor classrooms, and brick and glass massing that express activities of the varied programs."
Kanbar Hall was designed by Peter Kuttner, Steve Imrich, Todd Cirillo, and Thomas Rose of Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc., in Cambridge, Mass. The general contractor for the building was Peyton Maine Corp., of Saco, Maine.
Construction of Kanbar Hall was made possible by gifts from The Kanbar Charitable Trust and Elliott Kanbar, a member of the Bowdoin Class of 1956. This gift was augmented by grants from the George I. Alden Trust, the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations, and the Booth Ferris Foundation. A seminar room honoring the late Paul V. Hazelton, professor of education, was a gift of Terry D. Stenberg, of the Bowdoin Class of 1956, and his family.