College Honors Lifelong Volunteer and Original Meddiebempster
Story posted March 15, 1998
Oct. 1, 1998, BRUNSWICK, Maine - The first-floor North Lounge
Conference Room at Cram Alumni House will be renamed the Geoffrey
R. Stanwood Room, honoring a man who for six decades devoted much
of his professional and volunteer time to Bowdoin.
is credited with founding the Meddiebempsters, Bowdoin's male
a cappella singing group, in 1937. Throughout his life, he continued
to be an active supporter of, and singer with, generations of
Meddies. The dedication ceremony is being held in conjunction
with a Meddiebempster reunion on campus.
a long career in retail public relations in Massachusetts, Stanwood
returned to Bowdoin in 1972 as assistant to the vice president
for development. In 1975, he was appointed program coordinator
for the Breckinridge Public Affairs Center in York. Five years
later, he was appointed assistant to the president; when he retired
in 1983, he was elected assistant to the president emeritus.
As a volunteer for Bowdoin, he served as a member at large of
the Alumni Council from 1969 to 1973, president and class reunion
chairman for nearly 60 years, secretary of the Bowdoin Club of
Boston, class agent, and as a capital campaign volunteer. He also
was a volunteer track official for Bowdoin for many years, serving
as a referee and inspector. In 1988, he received the Alumni Service
also was a vital and active volunteer in the community throughout
his life. His long list of community service includes stints as
president of the Brunswick Area United Way and the Brunswick Village
Improvement Association; trustee for Children's Hospital Medical
Center in Boston , the New England Committee for Agricultural
Development, and the Massachusetts 4-H Foundation; and a vestryman
for St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Brunswick.
« Back | Campus News | Academic Spotlight | | Subscribe to Bowdoin News by Email