How to Apply
In order to attend Bowdoin College Upward Bound, you must be a student at one of the schools that we serve. In addition, Upward Bound students must meet certain income and family education criteria established by our grant from the U.S. Department of Education. You can find out if you may qualify by talking to your guidance counselor or contacting us.
If you are interested, you may download some information about the program to share with your parents. Please talk with them about it and contact us if you have questions.
Upward Bound Admissions Calendar:
An Upward Bound counselor visits each school during the month of February to provide information on the program and answer students' or parents' questions. Interested students can pick up an application from the representative or from the guidance office. If you would like to be included in an info session or know a student who should please contact us.
Students interested in applying to the Upward Bound program must complete an application in March, to be turned into the school guidance office. In the second part of March, counselors visit each high school to conduct interviews with those students who have completed their application. (Sound scary? Don't worry- the interview is just a way for us to get to know you better and for you to ask any questions about the program that are unanswered.)
The application has six parts:
- The Student Form . This asks for information about you, and includes a short essay, the Personal Statement. This is to be completed by the student.
- The School Release Form . The student and parent or guardian sign the release statement.
- The School Report/Recommendation Form . Give these pages to your guidance counselor for completion. Don't forget to get a transcript!
- Teacher Reference . Choose a teacher who has had you in a math, science, English or social studies class, and give the form to him or her.
- Personal Reference . Choose someone close to you who knows you well and give the form to them to him/her to write about your personal qualities.
- Parent's Confidential Statement. This provides required information that determines whether a student can participate in Upward Bound. There is also a section for parents to tell us more about the student.
You may download an application here in March or obtain one from your high school guidance office. All parts of the application will be due to your school's guidance office in late March. The guidance office will send the completed application to Upward Bound.
In early April, the admissions committee meets to decide on applications, and letters are sent to notify each applicant about their decision at the end of April/early May.