To register for an honors project, students should:
- Discuss their plans with the potential project director, a faculty member;
- Complete the online Independent Study/Honors Project Request Form;
- Confirm their schedule is correct in Polaris before the end of the second week of classes during the term in which the project is being conducted.
Approval: all requests for honors projects must be approved by the project director before the end of the second week of classes during the term in which the project is being conducted.
- Please submit the request form well in advance of the deadline so the faculty member has time to review and respond.
- Beyond the second week of the term, students will have to petition the Recording Committee to add any class.
Registration: if the faculty member, designated in the form by the student, agrees to serve as the project director, the Office of the Registrar will create the class and directly register the student into it.
- Students may submit request forms earlier, but honors projects are not added to a student's schedule until the Add/Drop I round of registration.
- During Add/Drop I, please allow 2-3 business days from the time the faculty member agrees to serve as the project director for the registration to be complete.
Check Schedule: students should check Polaris and Degree Progress to confirm their registration is correct before the end of the second week of classes, the end of the Add/Drop II registration period.
- If the request was not approved until the final day of the Add/Drop II registration period, students should check Polaris and Degree Progress in 2-3 business days to confirm their schedule.
- Students must submit a new request form for each semester of an honors projects even if it is a continuation of the same project.
- Independent studies, collaborative studies, and honors projects may not be taken on a Credit/D/Fail basis.
- For more information, see "The Award of Honors" section of the Bowdoin College Catalogue and Academic Handbook under "Academic Standards and Regulations."
Spring 2021 Deadlines*
||Office of the Registrar requests names of potential honors candidates from department chairs. Due TBD.|
|TBD||Names of potential honors candidates due in Office of the Registrar from departments.|
|TBD||Library submits revised "Requirements for Formatting and Submitting Honors Projects" to the Office of the Registrar.|
|TBD||"Requirements for Formatting and Submitting Honors Projects" sent to students and departments from the Office of the Registrar.|
|TBD||Departmental Honors projects must be uploaded and the "Thesis Access and Embargo form" completed through the Bowdoin Digital Commons by 5:00 pm.|
|TBD||Project directors complete their online approval through Bowdoin Digital Commons. They must review and approve the submitted project and the student's chosen levels of access and embargo by this deadline.|
*Note: These dates are only for students completing degree requirements in Spring 2021. Students completing their requirements in December (both degree and honors project) should contact the Office of the Registrar for fall dates.