The BOC Telemark Ski Program
The BOC Telemark Program promotes the lifelong sport of telemark skiing and a passion for being outdoors in the winter. BOC Tele aims to improve students’ telemark skiing ability, no matter their initial level, with a goal to make them proficient on-piste skiers able to translate their skills to the backcountry. We also encourage students to learn the mechanics of the telemark turn and the methodology to teach the sport to others. Students sign-up at an annual autumn info meeting.
Note: Gear fitting will take place in the BOC Tuesday, December 15, from 1:00-4:00 p.m. Gear will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Wear ski socks (or thin, non-cotton socks), and pants with a cuff that will roll up to try on boots.
Resort Update: Due to the uncertainty of Saddleback opening for the 2015-16 season, our home mountain will be either Sugarloaf or Sunday River. Decision to come soon.
- Use of BOC tele gear: K2 & RAMP telemark skis, Garmont, Scott, and Scarpa boots
- Six weeks of Saturday classes taught by Professional Ski Instructor of America (PSIA) certified instructors
- Opportunity to become PSIA telemark instructors
- Opportunities for backcountry day trips; learn ski tuning, maintenance, and repair
- Options for a week-long backcountry trip during Spring Break
2016 Telemark Classes (all Saturdays):
- Jan. 30, 2016
- Feb. 6, 2016
- Feb. 13, 2016
- Feb. 20, 2016
- Feb. 27, 2016
- March 5, 2016
Important Class info:
- Pay your BOC dues if you haven’t already
- You’re responsible for proper clothing — goggles, helmet, poles, etc. (we have a limited number of helmets and poles; if you have your own — same as alpine — you’ll ski with those.)
- Trip meeting time: 6:00 AM at the Schwartz. Bus departs at 6:15 sharp, no waiting
Free Your Paws...
Of course the Bowdoin Polar Bear is a tele skier! Here's a video from a couple seasons ago on the final BOC tele class, when the group traditionally dresses up in costume to ski.
From the BOC Telemark Archives
The BOC Tele program is entering its 15th season. Click on an image below to watch videos of BOC freeheelers in action from years past.
The California Sierras, Spring Break, March 2002
The California Sierras, Spring Break, March 2004
BOC Tele Class, Sugarloaf/USA, Season '04. A film by Steve Holleran '08