Eligibility and Participation Requirements
- Students must show academic advisors and OCS good academic reasons for wanting to study off-campus.
- Students must submit all OCS applications by the stated deadlines and with the required advisor signatures.
- Permission to study off campus may be affected by the College's need to maintain a reasonable balance in the number of students on campus each semester. Although the College will attempt to meet all reasonable needs, students should be prepared for the possibility that they may not receive their first choice.
- Students applying as second-semester sophomores for off-campus study in the junior year must have declared their major(s) electronically, as instructed by the Registrar’s Office, before submitting an application.
- At least two of the last four semesters before graduation must be spent in residence at Bowdoin during the junior and senior years.
- Students may not study off-campus while on probation or suspended from Bowdoin, for academic reasons or for breaches of the academic honor code or social code.
- All Bowdoin coursework must be completed before departure.
- All Bowdoin bills must be paid in full.
- A Special Waiver and Release must be signed by the student and a parent, in addition to the Agreement of Participation and Release, if the student is approved by Bowdoin to study in a country under a US State Department Travel Warning.
- During the duration of the program, all students must elect housing provided by the program/university, when offered and available, and may not elect independent housing.
- Upon completion of the program, all students must promptly return a program evaluation to the OCS Office.